Research and Resources
- Outcomes of Two Construction Trades Pre-Apprenticeship Programs: A Comparison: Helena Worthen and Anthony Haynes. Journal of Community Practice. Volume 17, Issue 1. January 2009.
- Construction Aptitude Assessment Test: Chicago Women in Trades
- Construction Pre-Apprenticeship Programs: Interviews with Field Leaders: Maureen Conway, Allison Gerber, and Matt Helmer. Workforce Strategies Initiative, the Aspen Institute. 2010.
- Designing a Pre-Apprenticeship Model for Women Entering and Succeeding in the Construction Trades: A Report to YouthBuild Providence: Report by PGTI co-conveners Elizabeth Skidmore and Susan Moir. September 2004.
- Apprenticeship: Completion and Cancellation in the Building Trades: Matt Helmer and Dave Altstadt. Workforce Strategies Initiative, The Aspen Institute. 2013.
- Construction Apprenticeship in Oregon: An Analysis of Data on Union and NonUnion Apprenticeship Programs: Prepared for the Oregon State Building and Construction Trades Council by Barbara Byrd, Ph.D of the Labor Education and Research Center at the University of Oregon. April 2009.
- Blue Ribbon Committee on Women in Apprenticeship: Established by the California Apprenticeship Council (CAC) to address concerns over the lack of women in the construction trades (<3% in 2006). This report includes their findings and recommendations.
- Building Trades Apprentice Training in Massachusetts: An Analysis of Union and Non-Union Programs, 1997-2007: Anneta Argyres and Susan Moir. Labor Resource Center Publications, University of Massachusetts Boston. 2008.
- Recommendations to Encourage Registered Apprenticeship – Community-Based Organization Partnerships. Advisory Committee on Apprenticeship, Education and Workforce Partnership Workgroup, and Under-Represented Populations Workgroup. 2013.
- Do Unions Help or Hinder Women in Training? Apprenticeship Programs in the United States: Gunseli Berik and Cihan Bilginsoy. Industrial Relations: A Journal of Economy and Society. Vol. 39, Issue 4, 600-624. October 2000.
- Gender and Racial Training Gaps in Oregon Apprenticeship Programs: Gunseli Berik, Cihan Bilginsoy, and Larry S. Williams. Labor Studies Journal. Vol. 36, No. 2, 221-244. June 2011. This study measures three types of training gaps by gender and minority status in Oregon apprenticeship programs: probability of graduation, time to graduation, and the quantity of training acquired by quitters.
- Women in Male-Dominated Industries: A Toolkit of Strategies: Australian Human Rights Commission. 2013.
- I Knew I Could Do This Work: Seven Strategies That Promote Women’s Activism and Leadership in Unions: Amy Caiazza. December 2007.
- Still Excluded: prepared by Timothy Casey of Legal Momentum. March 2013.