The purpose of this website is to provide connections to existing information, as well as share PGTI created resources. This site showcases PGTI’s three-pronged approach to increase women’s participation in construction careers: recruitment, retention, and compliance and enforcement. We have also included an archive of all resources, which are alphabetized by title and searchable using the top right search box.
Women in Construction: Reports
Women’s Bureau, US Department of Labor
The Women’s Bureau’s Women Build, Protect, and Move America portal includes information and resources about women accessing higher-paying careers in transportation, construction and protective services. You can learn about training and apprenticeship opportunities, supportive services, existing research and tradeswomen organizations. You’ll also find success stories, promising practices and guidance on your workplace rights. Click here to get started.
Recruitment and Retention
The resources in this section provide additional information on the organizations, government policies, and research data that support, guide, and inform successful recruitment and retention efforts.
Build A Life That Works
Women need our help getting into the trades and staying in the trades. The Build A Life That Works Initiative reaches women who have not known about the opportunities and benefits of work in the union construction trades and provides them with regular updates and information on how to find these opportunities. Reach out to Build a Life at BuildALifeMA.org or contact Ann Kurian, Pipeline Navigator, annNCTE@gmail.com
Apprenticeships and Training
- Model Programs
- Research, Resources, & Evaluations
- Apprenticeship data
- Standards & Regulations
MBE & WBE Support
- Disadvantaged Business Revolving Loan Program: allows the Illinois Department of Transportation to make the loans to businesses, including MBEs & WBEs, that have contracts with the state.
- Lexington Minority and Women Contractor Training Program: helps minority and women effectively compete in the contracting industry and covers topics ranging from estimating and bidding to subcontracting.
Tradeswomen Organizations & Resources
- Tradeswomen’s Organizations
- Other Equal Opportunity Organizations Assistance
Compliance and Enforcement
“You can no longer get around it, so you might as well get over it.”
Compliance and Enforcement Listing
Federal, State, and Municipal Workforce Participation Laws
Construction Workforce Compliance Data
Example Project Labor and Community Benefits Agreements
- Cleveland’s Community Benefits Agreement
- Jordan’s Ministry of Labor MOUs with the UN body for gender justice and women’s empowerment and Jordan Construction Contractors Association
- People’s Stadium Project, Minnesota Sports Facility Authority, State of Minnesota
- Springfield, IL High-Speed Rail Community Benefits Agreement